2017 Brisket King NYC Results :
Congratulations to Sruly “Izzy” Eidelman of Izzy’s BBQ Addiction in Crown Heights, who won the 2017 Brisket King of NYC with his traditional Kosher brisket.
- 1st Place and new Brisket King: Izzy’s BBQ Addiction
- 2nd Place: Mighty Quinn’s BBQ
- 3rd Place: Blue Smoke
Be sure to visit our Facebook page for photos from the big night.
Thank you to the Food Sciences Academy of Long Island University, along with all our chefs, staff and sponsors for another great year!
BRISKET KING OF NYC RETURNS ON WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19TH, TO THE OLD PARAMOUNT THEATER AT THE FOOD SCIENCES ACADEMY OF LONG ISLAND UNIVERSITY BROOKLYN (DOWNTOWN, FT. GREENE, BROOKLYN). JOIN US FROM 6-9:30 PM. EARLY BIRD AND VIP TICKETS ON SALE HERE.
NEW EVENT ALERT: THERE WILL BE A “BRISKET TALK” AT HOMETOWN BBQ (RED HOOK, BK) AT 6PM ON APRIL 18TH. EMAIL FOR RESERVATION ($10 ADMISSION, PAY AS YOU GO).
What others are saying:
“The brisket master hopefuls of the 2017 edition of Brisket King of NYC will have their smoked meats judged by a particularly big name in barbecue this year: Aaron Franklin, arguably the hottest pitmaster in barbecue today. ” – Eater preview, 4/3/17
“Some of the city’s best barbecue joints are participating—including Blue Smoke, Dinosaur BBQ and Mighty Quinn’s, which will all likely be bringing their own proprietary smoked meats—but there are some non-barbecue folks throwing their briskets into the smoker.” – Gothamist preview, 4/4/17
The sixth annual Brisket King of NYC will be adding a “Golden Calf” trophy to the King’s Crown. This year’s event is on Wednesday, April 19th, from 6:00 to 9:30 p.m. and is being hosted by the Food Sciences Academy of Long Island University Brooklyn (located in Downtown Brooklyn at the corner of Flatbush and DeKalb).
This year’s event will offer new awards for the top three chefs and the number of chefs will expand to 25. Special celebrity judges will now sample each brisket entry in a sequestered pre-event judging just before doors open to the public. The judges—to be led by Daniel Vaughn, Barbecue Editor of Texas Monthly—will be announcing cash awards for the top three best briskets, with people’s choice favorites in different categories, and the soon-to-be-coveted Golden Calf Best Brisket statue presented to our new Brisket King. Already chefs/restaurants are lining up, including (subject to change):
- Cherry Street BBQ from Toronto, Canada
- Hill County BBQ’s Chef Ash Fulk
- El Atoradero
- Hudson & Charles – Jay Fox
- M. Wells Steakhouse
- Tchoup Shop’s Simon Glenn
- Dinosaur BBQ
- Izzy’s BBQ Addiction (2016 Brisket King runner-up)
- Mighty Quinn’s Barbeque
- Ornella Trattoria
- Blue Smoke
- Kimchi Smoke Barbecue (Chef Robert Cho)
- LOOK by Plant Love House
- Pitmaster Robbie Richter
- Morgan’s BBQ
- Butcher Bar
- Jimmy’s No. 43 with East Village Meat Market
- Chef Jesse Jones
- Willie B’s
- Randall’s BBQ
- Catskill Food Company with Jonah Shaw (using beef sourced from Slope Farm)
- Many more to come…
Co-founder and host Jimmy Carbone (Jimmy’s No. 43, Food Karma Projects) is working with 2015 Brisket King Billy Durney of Hometown BBQ to allow for more variety in the chefs’ dishes. “There are many different brisket traditions, but there’s also a lot of innovation. Last year’s winner—The Wandering Que’s Ari White—won with a kosher lamb brisket. We hope to expand this notion of what brisket it supposed to be.”
In addition to Carbone and Durney, other co-hosts of the event include Brisket King co-founder Jake Schiffman (The Food Network), Jonathan Deutsch (Drexel University), Annie Hauck-Lawson (Mompost), Mory Thomas (f/o Food Network), Cricket Azima (Kids Food Festival) and Brisket Kings Dan Delaney (Delaney BBQ) and Billy Durney. This year’s sponsors include WÜSTHOF and Guinness. The charity partners are Brooklyn Rescue Mission (Community Garden and Food Pantry) and Heritage Radio Network.
This year’s judges will include:
- Daniel Vaughn, Barbecue Editor of Texas Monthly
- Chef John Tesar (Dallas, TX) – Top Chef contestant (Season 10)
- Aaron Franklin, Franklin BBQ (Austin, TX)
- Author Peter Kaminsky
- Jake Dell of Katz’s Deli
In addition to unlimited brisket samples, all-inclusive tickets will offer plenty of craft beer, cider and signature cocktails from artisan spirit makers Queens Courage and High West Whiskey, among others. Spirits producers are being curated by Modern Distillery Age and will include:
- Tito’s Vodka
- Queens Courage
- High West Whiskey
- Royal Wine Corp.
- Catskill Provisions
- Port Morris Distillery
- Prohibition Distillery
- Filibuster Bourbon
- Empire Spirits Project
Looking to compete or interested in being a sponsor? E-mail us today and we’ll reply with more information.
From past years:
“The now annual ‘Brisket King’ competition has become a late winter staple amid New York City eventgoers, growing larger and larger with each passing year. With more than a dozen options to choose from – and with the many big names representing New York’s barbecue scene – it’s no surprise that the crown is such a highly sought after achievement.” – Local Bozo review of 2015 Brisket King of NYC
Tickets are now available (get Early Bird here) for 2014’s best meat event, Brisket King of NYC! VENUE CHANGE: This event will be taking place at The Firehouse (87 Lafayette) on Wednesday, February 12, 2014 from 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM!
Tickets are selling fast, and we’ve yet to announce the full spirits line-up curated by Modern Distillery Age Magazine (stay tuned.)
If you came last year, you know that this is the brisket event of the year! You’ll get special VIP access to some of the city’s best brisketeers, with three hours of beef, beer, wine and spirits! This year’s confirmed chefs will include:
Among the already confirmed chefs:
Fletcher’s Brooklyn BBQ
East Village Meat Market
The Butcher Bar
Hudson Valley Harvest
Simon Glenn of Tchoup Shop
Joe and Mrs. Doe
Chef Jesse Jones
Brian Perrone of Slows (Detroit)
The Wandering Que (Kosher)
plus Special Guest and 2013 winner Dan Delaney of BrisketTown will be mingling with partiers!
Many more to come…
Celebrity judges include:
Peter Kaminsky (Bacon Nation)
Stevie Pierson (The Brisket Book)
Jimmy Carbone, Jimmy’s No. 43
Annie Hauck-Lawson (Gastropolis)
Jacob Schiffman, The Food Network
Rozanne Gold, James Beard Award-winning chef
Plus Tito’s Vodka and Lagunitas all night long! Additional details to follow.
URGENT BREAKING NEWS…
BRISKET KING OF NYC IS SOLD OUT!!!
No tickets will be available at the door.
Get in on our early bird ticket prices and save. We’re offering both VIP and general admission tickets to Brisket King of NYC 2013 on February 20th, 2013 from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm at Santos Party House at a substantial discount. Put a little brisket in your new year.
Confirmed participants include:
- 2012 Brisket King of NYC John Brown Smokehouse
- John Stage, Dinosaur Bar-B-Que
- Hugh Mangum, Mighty Quinn’s Barbeque
- Daniel Delaney, BrisketTown
- Will Horowitz, Ducks Eatery
- Lee Scheffler, Chef de Cuisine at Sarabeth’s
- Simon Glenn, Tchoup Shop
- Ari White, Pitboss of Hakadosh BBQ & Texas Roadside Smokehouse
- Matt Fisher, Fletcher’s Brooklyn Barbecue Pitmaster
- Chef Paul, MangoSeed Restaurant
- Andrew Burman, Taboonette
- Chef Robbie Richter
- Melt Shop Grilled Cheese
- East Village Meat Market
- Møsefund Farm’s Mangalitsa Pork Brisket will team with a guest chef TBA
- Jimmy’s No. 43 will team with High Point Farms
- Hudson Valley Harvest will team with an upstate farmer
- Adirondack Grazers Grassfed Beef Co-Op will team with a guest chef TBA
- With additional BBQ chefs and food purveyors TBA
This event will be co-hosted by:
- Jacob Schiffman, The Food Network
- Annie Hauck-Lawson, Brooklyn Mompost and “Gastropolis: Food and NYC”
- Jimmy Carbone, Jimmy’s No. 43
Confirmed judges include:
- Matt Bean, Sports Illustrated
- Rozanne Gold, Award-winning Chef and Author
- Peter Kaminsky, “Culinary Intelligence” and the upcoming “Bacon Nation”
- Julia Moskin, The New York Times
- Brian Perrone, Slows Bar B Q, Detroit, MI
- Stevie Pierson, “The Brisket Book”
- Mory Thomas, The Food Network
Exclusive beverage purveyors include:
- Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma, CA
- Asturian Ciders of Spain from Rowan Imports
- Indie Spirits Curated by Modern Distillery Age Magazine including:
- Koval Distillery
- Tequila Semental
- Tito’s Handmade Vodka
- Tuthilltown Spirits
- Warwick Valley Distillery
And check out Stevie Pierson’s “The Brisket Book: A Love Story with Recipes”:
Happening Tonight – November 28th from 6:30-8:30 p.m.!
Food Systems Network NYC’s annual meat panel Sustainable Meat Distribution: Channels and Challenges, the Second in a Series on Distribution, which was rescheduled due to Hurricane Sandy, will take place tonight, November 28th from 6:30-8:30 pm at Brooklyn Winery, (213 N. 8th St., Brooklyn, NY 11211). Moderated by Mary Cleaver (Founder and President, Green Table + Cleaver Co.), FSNYC’s 2nd annual Meat Panel will focus on the relationships and business practices that tackle the challenges of getting grass-fed meat from the farm and into the city.
For more details please visit the FSNYC website announcement.