Last year, Food Karma Projects created Meat Week NYC to support small livestock farmers upstate after Hurricane Irene tore through the region. Now post-Hurricane Sandy, we’re turning our focus to those in desperate need in the Rockaways.
Harry Rosenblum of The Brooklyn Kitchen/Meat Hook and other summer Rockaway Beach concession operators (Roberta’s, Rockaway Taco) are desperately raising urgent funds now for people in the Rockaways who have lost everything. Our meat will be purchased from Adirondack Grazers, a small co-op of grass fed beef farmers.
Among upcoming events, we’re committing all the ticket proceeds from our Modern Beefsteak & Spirits Celebration (Thursday, November 8th) to their efforts.
Please support the meat farmer and NYC establishments that have been struggling in the devastation from Hurricane Sandy. Great attendance at these events will help get local businesses back on their feet!
It’s time for carnivores to come together and celebrate sustainable meat! From November 3rd-11th 2012 NYC will celebrate all things beefy (and porky, lamby… oh, you get the idea). Celebrate local chefs, butchers and regional farmers by joining us for:
- Sara Bigelow of The Meat Hook will break down ½ side of beef from Adirondack Grazers Cooperative on Wednesday, November 7th at The Brooklyn Kitchen.
- Several meat-centric dinners including an all-beef dinner at Jimmy’s No. 43 (Monday, November 5th).
- Food Systems Network NYC’s annual panel “Sustainable Meat Distribution: Channels and Challenges” at Brooklyn Winery (RESCHEDULED for November 28th).
- Modern Beefsteak & Spirits Celebration! On November 8th, at Hudson Terrace join Time Out NY and guest chefs Mary Cleaver, Ian Kapitan, and others TBA, for:
- A walk-around tasting event, featuring food prepared by five chefs working with the ½ steer broken down earlier in the week at The Brooklyn Kitchen;
- 12 indie spirits curated by Gregg Glaser (Modern Distillery Age);
- Craft beer and live music from SisterMonk!
- For an additional donation, take the Joios Blind Tasting Challenge!
- East Village Meat Market will be sampling cooked/smoked meats on Saturday, November 10th.
- The Stone Barns Center for Food & Agriculture in Pocantico Hills, NY, will conduct several sustainable-meat-related tours on November 3rd-4th and 10th-11th.
- General meat demos at places such as Union Square Greenmarket, Brooklyn’s The Meat Hook, and Dickson’s Farmstand Meats, among others.
- Beginning November 12th, Food+Tech Connect presents “Reimagine, Prototype & Build the Future of Meat.” Join the online conversation, “How can information and technology be used to hack (or reimagine) meat?“
One of the key events of Meat Week NYC will be working with Adirondack Grazers Cooperative, a co-op of grass-fed beef farmers in Washington County, which will be bringing meat to several of the events including Modern Beefsteak & Spirits.